Cloud ERP is a method to combine Enterprise Resource Planning with cloud computing to help the businesses become more flexible in dealing with new processes. With the help of the cloud, ERP can now be delivered to companies as SaaS (Software as a service). This reduces costs for the company on the hardware and software front. This is only one of the many advantages companies have when they migrate to cloud based ERP.
Today, there are three cloud ERP options available to companies. They are public, private and hybrid. Each of these options has its own advantages:
- Private: Clouds that are used only by one organization are referred to as private clouds. Ex: Bank. This kind of cloud ERP is best suited when used with legacy systems as they do not already contain cloud computing abilities as a built in feature.
- Public: When cloud resources are shared among different organization then it is called a public cloud. Ex: Gmail. These kinds of systems usually operate totally from the cloud itself. In the case of a public cloud the processes of implementation and migration to a cloud ERP may be more expensive and time taking but is the best suited option for long term plans.
- Hybrid: The combination of one or more clouds is referred to as a hybrid cloud. Companies can implement their Cloud ERP in the form of SaaS (Software-as-a-Service). The example of this is customer relation management. This case is best suited to operate in a cloud.
So, why do you need Cloud based ERP? Are they really useful or can you continue to do without them? The benefits of using Cloud based ERP are as below.
- Flexibility: Though ERP systems were popular ever since their date of inception the problem that majorly prevented it from entering every organization is its inflexibility. Now by combining the ERP with cloud this problem can be overcome. Now companies can choose to deploy option depending on their needs.
- Cost Efficient: Since software is offered as a service up-front costs are reduced considerably.
- Scalability: Since it is based on a cloud the companies can choose to increase their storage at any time without extra costs.
- Portability and security: With the use of cloud portability and security are better. The process of integration too is much easier.
- New features: New functions and features can be added any time to the cloud by just deploying them onto it.