Maintenance is required whenever you purchase a new system or even while using your old PC. If you neglect the basic maintenance tasks then you will soon need to send your system for repairing. For better output and utilizing the full potential of the system RAM you need to apply few steps that will benefit you in the long run.
By following the three most essential steps you can keep your PC running smoothly without any performance lag. Let us discover more about it.
1. Optimizing the startup
The most annoying thing that you encounter is slow start up and slow shut down. Often you see that you have powered on the system but the screen is still non-responsive and after a lot of time, the Windows startup screen appears, the desktop appears with your icons but you are not able to use it. The system seems to be taking longer than usual to respond to your commands. You will realize that the system was a lot faster. The reason behind this time lag is the software and the applications that you have installed at start up. These applications automatically start off resulting in slow start up. Here is what you can do:
• Initially you should run the CCleaner. This enables the clearing of clutter from the hard drive of your system. Go to CCleaner->Tools->Startup. Now you will get a list of programs that is immediately launched when you boot your system.
• Against every program there is a check box, click it and Disable it.
• You can also opt for WinPatrol that can help you schedule startups without the hassle of launching your applications during the booting process.
• After installing this program go to Startup Programs tab-> locate the program or application to delay the launch-> Delay tab, choose the delay time.
2. Automatic updates scheduling
Another important thing that you need to keep in mind for running your PC smoothly is installing or scheduling automatic updates. For this you need to download a software that performs automatic updates. For Windows users Task Scheduler comes handy for scheduling tasks. This program runs automatic updates on a scheduled time.
• Windows Vista and Windows 7 users can easily locate the Task Scheduler in their Start menu, for Windows 8 users they can locate it on the Start Screen.
• Click the option Create Basic Task to add the program that you would like to launch.
• A wizard appears asking you to input the number of times you would like to perform the task along with the selective programs.
• Here you can add programs like CCleaner or SpaceSniffer.
3. Defragment your drives
Defragmenting is essential to keep the PC running smoothly. Defragmentation is the process that helps in consolidating all your data on your drive in a proper manner. It is essential to defrag your drive once in a while to help in proper functioning and ensuring better data recovery after data loss. This is how it can be done:
• If you are running your system on Windows 8, Windows 7 or Windows Vista then chances are that the process of defragmentation is automated. However you can manually ensure this process by going to the Start menu or Start Screen-> Disk Defragmenter->Result. This way you will know the details of this process.
• If you are running Windows XP then you need to run the process of manual defragmentation. Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Defragmenter.
You need to keep it in mind that if you are using a system that contains SSD or a solid-state drive then defragmentation might cause wear and tear to the drive. These drives are sensitive and defragging may shorten the life span of the drive. It is advisable to turn off or disable the automatic defragmentation process.