Windows users report error 1004 with several applications such as MS Office Excel, Nero Vision, EasySync Pro and RBCA Toolkit. This error can occur in Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, XP and previous versions of Windows. Here are given steps which you can take to repair this error:
1. Provide Administrative Permission to the Installation Folder
2. Change Installation Folder
3. Delete Temporary Application Files
4. Repair Registry
5. Restore the Computer
Provide Administrative Permission to the Installation Folder
The folder you have selected for installation may lack administrative permissions. In such case, setup program fails to copy files to your hard disk and results in Windows error code 1004. Its solution is to change folder’s security settings and allow required permissions.
1. Double click My Computer desktop shortcut.
2. Open the destination folder which is being selected to install the program.
3. Right-click it, select Properties.
4. Folder Properties dialog shall open.
5. Click the Security tab and Edit button.
6. Provide administrative privileges to the folder and click OK twice.
7. Re-run the setup program.
Change Installation Folder
Change the installation folder. It is possible that the installation folder is still having security issues. Do install the program in a different drive (say, drive D:) or in a different folder.
Delete Temporary Application Files
Delete the temporary application files. These files can be corrupt. Fix error 1004 as shown below:
1. Click Start | Run.
2. Type AppData in the Open box.
3. Press ENTER.
4. Double click the concerning programs folder. Delete contents of the Temp folder.
Repair Windows Registry
Registry is an integral part of Windows. Corruption of the Registry can cause your computer to show error 1004. As the computer is used, Registry is being constantly accessed. There are saved hundreds and thousands of entries in Windows Registry. These keys need to be correct to avoid application errors such as the error code 1004 in Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista and XP. What you have to do is remove congested entries and invalid references.
1. Download an efficient System/Registry Cleaner.
2. Start full Registry scan through it.
3. Repair all errors.
Restore the Computer
Restore your computer to an earlier state. Sometimes errors are fixed through system restore. Use System Restore as shown below:
1. Click Start, point to All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore.
2. Click Next.
3. Follow the wizard your own.