The new updated version of iTunes is available for Apple and Windows users; iTunes 11 is fully loaded with many functionalities. The iTunes 11 comes with a complete new look and its latest version is re-designed. This new look comprise new major features like MiniPlayer, iCloud integration and Up Next. Additionally, other things like the side bar too have seemed to be stacked away in a neat display within the menu. This does gives a more organized look but still one may find it annoying especially those who are used to working with the old side bar look. Let us find out how to restore the side bar look and use the Up Next functionality in iTunes 11.
Let us begin by working with Up Next.
Using Up Next
• Initially you need to update the old version of your iTunes in your Mac to the new version. After doing this go to the music library. Now observe as you hover mouse on to the name of an artist or a song you an arrow icon will appear. Click the arrow icon to display the action list.
• Select the option of Play Next to play the selected item like, an artist, an album or a song. You can also choose the option of Up Next list to add it to the list of currently playing songs. Select Add to UP Next.
• If you want to view your newly created list of Up Next then click the three horizontal lines displayed at the top of the window. This will reveal the number of currently queued songs in the list and the order they are up for playing.
• For viewing the history of Up Next, click the clock like icon located at the top. Additionally if you want to clear the existing list or replace it with new one then you can select Clear option. This will clear the list so that you can make new additions.
• Replacing an entire play list and adding new songs is as easy as drag and drop functionality. All you need to do is hover your mouse on a song. You will see icons like, delete on the left and music library on the right side.
• If you are adding multiple items at once in your Up Next playlist a command prompt will ask you to clear the list first or add new items to the existing list. If you want to replace the existing list then use the Clear option but if you want to add new song items then again use the functionality of drag and drop.
• Up Next option can also be used when you are already in the MiniPlayer mode. The same functionalities can be used here with similar commands.
Additionally, you can also conduct a search via Search icon to look into the library for adding a song to your Up Next list.
Now let us learn how to restore the side bar view in iTunes 11, this is a minor change incorporated within the new version of iTunes. Some might want the old look back as some of us are comfortable around working with old side bar view. If you want it back then it requires restoring it including playlists and the old look iTunes Store. Here is how it is done:
• If you want to access the old playlists and iTunes Store in the same old side bar look then click the buttons located at the top of iTunes. You will observe that both the buttons are visible. However, the device button is made visible when you have connected a device to your system.
• Revealing the side bar is possible with Option->Command+S key when you are working on Mac. If you are on Windows use Ctrl+S. You can click the View option and choose Show Sidebar.
• Now your navigation options are restored to that of the previous version of iTunes. You will immediately observe a different skin.
Applying the above given tips will enable you restoring the Side Bar View and using the Up Next functionality in your iTunes 11.