We all frequently use the Google e-mail service called Gmail every day. This is said to be the most efficient and easy to use mail client ever. It is not always necessary that you are aware of all the hidden tricks that will help you to make your life easier. Tricks that will help you get notifications on your desktop, generate an auto-response and many more. Let us learn about Gmail and the tricks that can be applied by power users.
Using Gmail for performing basic functionality is something that everyone is familiar with like organizing folders and arranging contacts. But there are other useful tips that you can apply to enhance your Gmail experience.
1. Setting up notifications
If you are the one getting e-mail messages continually then you might find it annoying to refresh your inbox after given interval of time. This is not only time consuming but also constantly distracting to check if there is a new message arrival in your inbox. So, what can be done in this given situation? The best course of option that you can choose from is to apply notifications that you can obtain from your desktop. This way you will be able to know about the arrival of new e-mail message without refreshing your inbox.
You can use the functionality in the Chrome after logging into your Gmail account. Take the following steps to apply notifications:
• Select Settings options in your Gmail > General > Desktop Notifications > Turn on notifications
• Here you can either choose to turn on or turn off the notifications for Chat or e-mail
• You can also choose to mark important on e-mails that you want to receive
• After making the choices click Save
2. Adding quick attachments
Often there are times when you want to attach multiple file attachments to your Gmail account. At this time you will make attachments one by one. But this seem to consume time by each time clicking the link to file attachment. Nonetheless, this can be made easier and quicker. For sending multiple file attachments you need to apply the following steps:
• Sending files from same folder is easy by pressing Ctrl key or Command Key for Mac
• Click to select the files that you want to attach
• If you have more than a couple of files to choose from then you can use the Shift key to choose more files
• Drag and drop is another option to attach files to your e-mail. Just drag the file from your folder into Attach File section
• The Attach File section will display a message: Drop files to add as attachment
3. Setting Auto-response
While you are outside and enjoying a personal vacation or out on an official trip you often worry about the e-mails that you receive. At this time you must be wondering about answering the e-mails and letting the sender know that you are unavailable for the discussion. This can be done by enabling the functionality of auto-answer. This will enable generating and sending an automated response when you are outside on vacation.
As soon as someone e-mails you the response will be sent immediately that you are out and unavailable to answer. This message will also mention the dates when you will not be available. To enable auto-response feature following steps can be applied:
• Log into your Gmail account
• Settings > General Tab > Vacation Responder> ON
• Enter the text in the subject field for example: Out for vacation
• Now enter text in the Body of the message
• Choose the contacts in your list for sending response
• Save changes
If you are using the option of Google Apps then you can choose to set an auto-response to the people in your domain. Choose the check boxes against people in contact and people in domain this will enable a response to all. If you want to choose specific option like only the people in contact then click the checkbox near people in contact list. After coming back from your vacations you choose End Now option in your Gmail.
4. Contact details
The widgets that are provided next to the messages are useful in displaying user information. this comes handy when you are looking for information about a specific person with whom you are interacting with on Gmail message. Here is what you can do:
• Click on Contact, this will display information like, name, E-mail, Google+ postings,
• This also gives you the option to add it directly in your contacts
• You can also add the contact in your calendar events
5. Remote sign off
Using multiple devices or PCs for logging into Gmail may leave you confused about whether you have signed off or still logged in. If you are still under doubt about signing off then you can use the option of remote. For this purpose you can apply the following steps:
• Go to your Gmail account
• Scroll down to inbox
• Click Details to know if the account is still running in another location
• Log out from here to log off all the sessions
Applying the above given tips will help enhance your experience with Gmail and make your e-mail more useful to you.