Majorly PRINCE2 is used by the UK government but apart from that is being widely used in the private sector as well both in the UK and internationally. Its mechanism lies in the public domain and offers the best guidance for managing projects.
Various features of PRINCE2 are listed below:
- It focuses on business justification.
- The organization structure is very well-defined for the team managing the project.
- Product based thinking and planning approach.
- Focuses on dividing the project into stages. Controllable and manageable
- Flexibility at various levels of the project.
Background of PRINCE2
PRINCE was setup in 1989 by the Central Computer and Telecommunications Agency now renamed as the Office of Government Commerce. PRINCE was initially PROMPT based that itself is a project management process developed by Sim-pact Systems Ltd in 1975 which was later taken by CCTA in 1979. After the launch of PRINCE, PROMPT got suppressed in government projects. PRINCE2 was later developed in 1989, having been contributed by around 150 European organisations.
Why is PRINCE2 beneficial for organisations?
PRINCE2 helps with a better management of resources and the freedom to take care of business and risks more effectively. Now this is going to benefit the people looking for project management skills, directors, organisations, project managers and so.
For an individual having a PRINCE2 certification adds a lot to your skills and increases your job opportunities and also helps in your job. While for companies it helps them with their projects in numerous ways.
Training and qualifications
Various PRINCE2 trainings include PRINCE2 Foundation, PRINCE2 Re-Registration and PRINCE2 Practitioner.
- PRINCE2 Foundation – It is a great way to begin with and helps in learning the basic methodology of PRINCE2.
- PRINCE2 Practitioner – The practitioner helps you use PRINCE2 in projects as well. This gives a better overview of what it is and how it can be beneficial for you.
- PRINCE2 Re-Registration – The official examination board has decided that all the practitioners of PRINCE2 should re-register themselves within 3 to 5 years of their previous certification date. If you fail the re-registration examination, your registered status would be taken back.
Principles, themes and processes
The various principles of PRINCE2 include:
- It is the reason to start a project justifiable and won’t change the timeline.
- The team should continuously learn from previous projects and lessons.
- The team should have a clear structure and team for the project.
- The project should be properly planned, monitored and controlled at various stages.
- The project focuses on the product delivery, quality and of course definition.
The themes define the other areas of project management that must be taken care of parallel to the project. They include business case, quality, organisation, risk, change, plans and progress.
The multiple processes in the cycle of using PRINCE2 are:
- Starting of Project
- Directing the Project
- Initiating the Project
- Controlling the Project
- Managing delivery
- Managing boundaries
- Closing the Project
Although the PRINCE2 is not a one size fits all solution to any project, but it surely can be tinkered with to adapt to any particular project.