If you are an aspiring IT professional, then you might have come across people asking you to get a PRINCE2 certification. You might be very eager to go in for this certification, but might not have much idea on what or how this certification can be beneficial for you in the long run.
Need for PRINCE2
PRINCE2 basically is an abbreviation for Projects IN Controlled Environments. This project management methodology is gaining a lot of popularity both in the public as well as the private sectors. PRINCE2 can be dated way back to 1975, where earlier it was referred to as PROMPTII. PRINCE replaced PROMPTII in 1989 and later re-launched itself as a generic project management methodology in 1996.
PRINCE2 comes with the below characteristics and features:
- Comes with a defined life-cycle that can be managed by stages and exceptions
- A defined organizational structure with properly defined responsibilities for better project management
- Comes with a project oriented planning approach
- It can be made to suit any project’s size, environment, risk and importance
Different Themes and Process for PRINCE2
You can opt for different PRINCE2 themes which can be integrated into each of the 7 processes of PRINCE2. The seven PRINCE2 themes are:
- Business Case – How the project will benefit the organization
- Organization – What would the roles and responsibilities of the team handling the project
- Quality – How the project will be able to deliver on the qualitative aspects
- Plans – Different steps undertaken to develop the plan through PRINCE2 techniques
- Risk – Different risks involved in the project and types of measures undertaken to address them
- Change – How the project management team look into changes and implement them
- Progress – Evaluation of the project progress against what was planned initially
Now that you have understood the themes, let us look at the process.
- Starting the project
- Directing the project
- Initiating the project
- Stage Control
- Product Delivery Management
- Stage Boundary Management
- Closing the project
Getting Accredited for PRINCE2
If all this has got you interested, then you might want to know how to register for PRINCE2. Well, basically there are two exams that you need to undertake. One is the Foundation exams and the other is the Practitioner exams. Each of the PRINCE2 exam questions have a different format and can be taken either together or on separate dates.
How Can PRINCE2 Benefit People or Organization
When PRINCE2 is applied onto a project it can help in proper planning and communication. It gives organization clear-cut clarity of different roles and responsibilities. It also keeps the organization motivated and promotes for better learning. Here the emphasis is given more to results rather than tasks.
For individuals, PRINCE2 certification can help improve project management skills and helps them to deal with project risks effectively.